Having diabetes means dealing with a lot of numbers. Blood sugar levels, grams of carbohydrate, units of insulin, A1c test results…the list goes on. These numbers have the potential to evoke frustration, discouragement, anger, happiness and exhaustion. But, when it comes down to it, they are just numbers! So, why not have some fun with them?
I started wondering what my favourite number was, amongst this inescapable bombardment of values. After giving it some thought, I came to the conclusion that my favourite number isn’t something static. I have lots of favourite numbers and they’re constantly changing from day to day.
Some of my favourites?
7. My A1c goal. How I love achieving an A1c of less than or equal to seven!
8. The number of carbs in my favourite peanut butter cookie. Of course, I never eat just one.
19. I got married on this day in May, 2007.
28. The number my favourite ball player wore for the Detroit Tigers. Sadly, he’s now a Yankee.
42. If you haven’t already read it, you should check out Douglas Adams’ The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. 42 will carry so much more meaning.
4700. The number of kilometers my husband and I drove across the country in Summer 2008 (that was one long — and beautiful — trip)
Being part of the online diabetes and gluten-free communities is a true privilege. Being able to connect with people feeling the same frustrations and joys makes living with both diabetes and celiac more bearable; I may even go so far as to say more enjoyable. With My Favourite Number, I hope to inspire those living with type 1 diabetes, celiac disease, and other chronic conditions to take on life with an unabashed – but healthful and responsible – fervour and hope. You might even discover some of your own favourite numbers along the way.